PETITION TO INDUCT PEACE PILGRIM INTO NEW JERSEY HALL OF FAME
We, the undersigned, urge that Peace Pilgrim – born Mildred Lisette Norman in Egg Harbor City, New Jersey in 1908 – be selected as a 2014 Historical inductee into the New Jersey Hall of Fame. For 28 years, from 1953 until her death in 1981, this New Jersey native walked across the U.S. 7 times with only the clothes on her back spreading her message of peace to thousands. Her words continue to inspire people worldwide.
· Years ahead of her time, she planted seeds for legal mediation, conflict resolution and inner peace that are woven into the fabric of our culture.
· Statues stand in her honor in Peace Pilgrim Park in Egg Harbor City, NJ, and at the U.N. Peace University in Costa Rica alongside statues of Mahatma Gandhi and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.; and the Swarthmore College Peace Library houses a Peace Pilgrim collection.
· Her name was put forward for the Nobel Peace Prize. (Her untimely death prevented her consideration.)
· Her book Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work in Her Own Words is translated into 8 languages, and her Steps to Inner Peace pamphlet, available in 29 languages, is distributed free to people worldwide.
S. K. Newton
Peace Pilgrim is an American saint. She deserves to be recognized as such nationally - the New Jersey Hall of Fame is a start!
I have always been inspired by this wonderful woman. All seekers should read "Steps Toward Inner Peace".
A woman who literally walked her talk. If ever there was someone who deserved the honor of entry into the hall of fame in her own hometown, it is Peace Pilgrim.
God rest her soul to eternal peace. There will never be another like her. She shall never be forgotten.
Dontae McGee4 months ago
Janet Pfeiffer4 months ago
S. K. Newton4 months ago
- We were successful! Peace Pilgrim has been nominated to the NJ Hall of Fame Class of 2014. You can now vote for her to be inducted at www.njhalloffame.org/2014-nominees/ She is listed under her pre-pilgrimage name Mildred Norman Ryder.