Statement of Support for the SUMMARY: I agree with the text of the “Statement of Support for the Sierra Madre K-1 Inclusion Class Program,” and wish to show my support to save the program.
Sierra Madre K-1 Inclusion Class Program
We, the undersigned, express (1) our support for the Sierra Madre K-1 inclusion class program, and (2) our concern that this successful program, integrating children with special needs and those who are typically developing, may be detrimentally changed or eliminated due to budget concerns.
We are the parents of K-1 students past and present, parents of children of all abilities who want to be in this class in the future, and supporters of this model that exemplifies the best educational practices for an inclusive classroom.
We believe this class should remain intact at Sierra Madre Elementary School for many reasons, among them:
- Through the guidance of its excellent and dedicated teachers and staff, it successfully prepares ALL students for achievement in the classroom.
- It allows children with identified special needs to get help from specialists and yet share in the regular schedule of class activities.
- Inclusion is the program structure that has been adopted by and recommended by California educational specialists because of its proven success. The entire PUSD benefits from implementing programs like the Sierra Madre K-1 inclusion class.
- The program utilizes the best standards and practices required by California State Law and produces exemplary students who are extremely well-prepared for the rigors and academic requirements of the standard classroom in grades 2 and above.
- The budgetary expenditures to keep the K-1 class operating will not exceed the budgetary needs that will arise as a result of its dismantling.
The methodology of the K-1 class allows for a level of interaction for both the general student and the special needs student that cannot be equaled in a regular classroom setting by providing small group learning situations for all students throughout the day. It teaches the typically developing students to be mindful and respectful of all persons while it affords the special needs children their first experience being part of a large group where they do not stand out -- except for the same exciting reasons that any student who shines may stand out among their peers.
Please consider the following signatures an indication of our commitment to the Sierra Madre K-1 inclusion class.