Why Manipur Requires Inner Line Permit System May 12. 2012 | Comments (2)
What is Inner line Permit?
The inner line permit is the permit system under the Bengal Eastern frontier Regulation, 1873 where no citizen from other part of India (Outsider) are not allowed to enter the boundary of a state without a valid pass issued by a competent authority under the regulation. These passes are usually issued by the state Deputy Resident Commissioner / Deputy Commissioner/ any other officer authorized by the state Government. The main objective of the Inner Line Permit system is to provide a special protection of the distinct identity and safeguard for the peaceful existence of the indigenous people of the state.
If any person so prohibited enters the such line without a pass shall be liable to conviction before magistrate (to imprisonment of either description which may extend to one year, to a fine not exceeding Rs.1000 or to both) The pass will be issued by the competent authority and will require payment such duties and fees as the state Government may deem proper.
Any rubber, wax, ivory, or other forest product,(or any book, diary, manuscript, map, picture, photograph, film, curio or article of religious or scientific interest) found in the possession of any person convicted of any offence under this Act may be confiscated to state Government by an order to be passed at the time of conviction by the magistrate.
If the Magistrate has a reason to believe that any article which if found in the possession of a person convicted under this Act would be liable to confiscation under sub- section (1) has been acquired or wholly or partly written, made or taken by such person beyond “the Inner Line”, the magistrate after giving the person in whose possession the article is found an opportunity to show cause why an order under the sub-section should not be passed in respect of the article any, unless it is proved that the article was not acquired, written, made or taken as aforesaid, order that such article be confiscated to Government.
It shall not be lawful for any person, not being the native of the district to acquire any interest in land or other product of land without sanction of the state.
Where the Inner Line Permit System Implemented?
This Inner Line Permit system is implemented in Nagaland, Mizoram, and Arunachal Since the British day till date.
Benefits on Inner Line Permit System to the People of Manipur
- Protection of Land and immovable properties from outsiders. Our land immovable properties will remain intact as no outsider will be allowed to acquire or purchase land.
- There will be reduced unemployment problem in the state. Our youth will not be deprived of their job opportunities as the outsiders will not eligible for recruitment to permanent posts due to want of domicile certificate.
- Our youth will not be deprived of higher education opportunities in MBBS, BDS, BE as the outsider will not be eligible for appearing in such want of Domicile certificate.
- Our youth will not be deprived of the higher post like MCS, MPS as the outsider ill not be eligible for appearing in such competitive examination due to want of domicile certificate.
- The indigenous Manipuris will not be deprived of manual works
- Only the indigenous Manipuris will become proprietors of shop and establishment and they can run the market, fix the market price and dominate in the business .
- The indigenous Manipuries will be elected in general and other election as the outsider will not be enrolled in the electoral Roll.
- Only genuine candidate ill be elected as the outsider will no longer have political voice and their localities ill no longer be considered as vote bank.
- The taxes collected from outsiders will become an important source of revenue in the state.
- The inner line permit system will bring peace and harmony among the people and between the native and outsider and will reduce crime.
- The inner line permit system will help in protection and preservation of identity and culture of various ethnic groups in Manipur.
- The inner line permit system will help the territorial integrity of Manipur.
- The inner line permit system will prevent criminal from entering Manipur
- The inner line permit system will help in improving the socio economic status of the indigenous people.
- The inner line permit system will help in improving the dignity and self respect of the Manipuri’s.
- The inner line permit system will help the reduction in the number of outsider in Manipur thus reducing tension, anxiety, conflicts and improve mutual respect between Manipuris and Non Manipuris.
- The inner line permit system will help in prevention and control of various disease like Dengue, Leprosy,Malaria, HIV, AIDS.
- The inner line permit system will help in protection of small ethnic group like Tarao, Purum, SULTE, RALTE ho are facing extinction.