The purpose of this petition is to gain support for the inclusion of coverage for the Gardasil vaccine in our student health plan!
WHY? Some quick facts:
- Human papilloma virus (HPV) is a sexually transmitted virus that can cause cervical cancer, penile and anal cancers, and genital warts.
- Condoms DO NOT provide full protection against HPV.
- Unlike other STIs, HPV CANNOT be tested for.
- Currently, Gardasil is the ONLY vaccine that protects against HPV and genital warts.
- Gardasil is NOT covered by OHIP for anyone born before or during 1993.
- The cost of this vaccine is a total of $450 (3 doses, $150 each, are required for protection).
- Officials were actually considering including coverage for this vaccine in the student health plan, but it was ultimately vetoed because it is considered a “preventative measure”.
Together, we can make a change and protect our sexual health! J
For more information on the cause, or if you attend another school and want to begin a movement among your peers, contact the admin of this group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/390484407707784/?notif_t=group_r2j