Many features of the chosen Flight 93 Memorial design are intolerable:
1. THE <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />GIANT CRESCENT. The centerpiece of the original “Crescent of Embrace” design was a giant red Islamic shaped crescent. Every particle of this original crescent design remains completely intact in the so-called redesign, which only added a few irrelevant trees. The giant crescent is still there.
2. IT POINTS TO MECCA. The giant crescent points to Mecca. A crescent that Muslims face into to face Mecca is called a "mihrab," and is the central feature around which every mosque is built. The Flight 93 Memorial is on track to become the world's largest mosque.
3. THE ISLAMIC SUNDIAL. The minaret-like Tower of Voices is a year-round accurate Islamic prayer-time sundial (one of many typical mosque features that are realized in the crescent design, all on the same epic scale as the half mile wide central crescent).
4. THE 44 BLOCKS. There are 44 glass blocks on the flight path, equaling the number of passengers, crew, AND terrorists. [UPDATE 9-2-10: In an implicit acknowledgment of the 44 blocks, the Park Service has changed the three blocks inscribed with the 9/11 date to a single large block, reducing the block total to 42, which simply disguises what architect Paul Murdoch has done.]
Intentional or not, these features are entirely unacceptable. This travesty must stop and investigations must begin.
1) We the undersigned call on our state and federal legislators to undertake their own thorough and independent investigations of the Flight 93 Memorial design. The truth must come out.
2) We ask that the crescent design be scrapped entirely and that it be replaced with a new design that is not tainted by Islamic or terrorist memorializing symbolism.
3) We demand a fitting and proper memorial that HONORS the brave men and women of Flight 93.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
Send all of them back to their own country. Sorry I didn't fight for them to be here.
We must stop this. Why in the world would anyone think this is appropiate?
Have the courage to stop where you are in construction and start over! Not This Design!
Frank Church, Buford, GA, United States2 days ago
Linda Muench, Bellingham, WA, United States5 days ago
lynne Champagne, NY, United States1 week ago
There are no highlights yet.