We the undersigned citizens of the City of Harare are concerned by the worrying developments at the Harare City council. Of particular concern is:
· The continued deterioration of the service delivery with reference to water supply and other services. The city’s water woes are on the rise with the current introduction of pre-paid water meters as the latest attack on the residents of the city. Many suburbs continue to suffer serious water shortages.
· The level of corruption as show by the recently publicised salaries of senior employees. Harare City Council’s top 19 executives are gobbling US$500 000 in salaries every month while some workers are still to get their November bonuses and salaries. The highest earner is town clerk Dr Tendai Mahachi who pocketed US$37 642 according to a salaries report dated December 12, 2013 submitted to Kingdom Bank by a city employee Mr Charles Mutongwizo. This is against a background of deteriorating services and underpayment of workers.
· The reinstatement of the Town Clerck Dr. Tendayi Mahachi who was suspended to pave way for an audit of the city council finances and other services. The Minister of Local Government, Public Works and National Housing, Dr Ignatius Chombo, ordered the immediate reinstatement of Harare Town Clerk Dr Tendai Mahachi. Dr Mahachi was suspended by Mayor Bernard Manyenyeni for a period of three months for allegedly refusing to provide the salary and benefits schedule of all Harare City Council senior employees to the mayor. Dr. Mahachi has been presiding over the city’s current state of shame in terms of service delivery and his recent involvement of shady council deals is cause for concern.
· The looting of the Chinese loan money meant for rehabilitation of water services. Harare City Council officials are suspected have pocketed more than US$100 million through inflating prices of equipment for the US$144,4 million loan agreement obtained from China whose contract to refurbish water and sewage treatment plants was awarded to a Chinese company. The Chinese money was borrowed without citizen concern. No loan conditions and term were made public for scrutiny and the reports that the money was corruptly used are cause for concern.
We therefore demand that:
· The city council stops the introduction of pre-paid water meters whose supply tender is shrouded in mystery.
· Dr. Mahachi and other key employees are suspended to pave way for an audit and investigation into the corruption allegations.
· An Audit of the Chinese loan in order to bring to book the culprits is done.
We also want to recommend that:
· A speedy solution is availed to the water problems affecting the city with full citizen involvement.
· Future loans by the city council are made after full citizen consultation and the terms and conditions are made public.
“NO LOANS FOR US, WITHOUT US “
“OUR RESOURCES OUR FUTURE”
Tendai Carter Muchada
We demand adequate water and sanitation facilities
Mercy Makumbe Midzi
We are sick and tired of these capitalists who are busy looting public funds while the poor people continue to suffer in poverty, no clean water if no water at all, health delivery system is poor while those in the health are busy giving themselves hefty salaries while the poor are dying because of lack of drugs and machinery in hospitals. Asiyifuni iagenda yamacapitalist!Hatiude hunhu hwemacapitalist! we do not want the capitalists system. Viva Socialism!
JOY MABENGE6 months ago Comments: -
Rangarirai Chikova6 months ago Comments: -
Tom Gumede, Zimbabwe7 months ago Comments: http://www.herald.co.zw/editorial-comment-dr-chombo-the-ball-is-in-your-court/
- We are now live!