The ESSFTA National Specialty show is a very special event held once a year in various locations around the country. The event is planned to showcase the breed and its versatility. The goal is achieved with tracking, hunt & working tests, performance events, such as obedience and agility, puppy sweepstakes and regular conformation competition, a tribute to our rescue organization, pee-wee and junior events, health and judging events plus other activities too numerous to mention.
Many fanciers participate in all or some of these events. As the years go by the expense of sponsoring a national and attending has continued to grow. Many exhibitors from all of the venues plan their finances and vacation time around this event. The following table represents at minimum a possible average cost of one person with two dogs.
Description Average Cost Number Total by Air
Sweeps Entry $20.00 2 $40.00
Regular Entry $25.00 2 $50.00
Catalogue $8.00 1 $8.00
Electrical $50.00 1 $50.00
Banquet $25.00 1 $25.00
Misc Event $30.00 1 $30.00
Hotel $100.00 7 $700.00
Airfare $350.00 1 $350.00
Food $50.00 7 $350.00
Van Rental $75.00 7 $525.00
Misc Expenses $100.00 1 $100.00
Ship Dogs $300.00 2 $600.00
Every year there is dissention and disagreement on how the show should be conducted. This discussion takes place mostly by word of mouth, gossip, email list, etc. Everyone has their own ideas and perspectives on how the show should be run, not all ideas are viable, but some are. No one event should take precedence over any other. The above being said we believe the following basic principles should be applied when planning the National specialty show:
1. All events should be equal, which means one of each event should be held.
2. This should be a continuous event, without gaps, which are costly to exhibitors and the club.
3. Consideration should be taken in site selection, for affordability and access.
4. Balloting for judges to take place annually, with the balloting taking place at least 2 years in advance of the show date.
5. The results of the judges balloting made available to the membership.
6. Judges should be selected and contracted at a minimum of 2 years in advance.
7. Events should be planned to fit into a one week schedule, the exception being the addition of a local specialty prior to the national.
8. Since this is a special event, all placements should be rewarded with appropriately special awards (trophies, rosettes, etc.)
We would like to suggest that the specialty be planned with performance and conformation events grouped in successive days to allow those attendees to plan their valuable vacation time and finances accordingly. The majority of exhibitors who attend the national come for the conformation event. The show should be planned to allow participants to come in for that event only and vice versa for performance events or to stay for the entire week
By signing this petition I agree that the above changes to scheduling and judge selection should be made in the interest of ALL Exhibitors and ask the ESSFTA and the show committee to take this petition under advisement. Thank-you.
A group of concerned ESSFTA National exhibitors and attendees.
Help spread the word about this petition. Copy the code below and paste it into your website or blog to help promote this petition.
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.