This petition is being created on behalf of the tax payers of Crawford County, Indiana who oppose the location being purchased to store road material and equipment. The opposition is in regards to the excessive and unnecessary spending of tax dollars; safety of local citizens; and possible danger to wildlife and the environment. Crawford County commissioners are quietly in the process of purchasing property to create a storage area for winter road cover. Due to no zoning restrictions with the current laws in our county the proposed facility will be located on a residential rural road. Concerns were presented to the commissioners during their meeting June 28, 2012 and are listed in the following list.
1. Residents of the county were not aware of the purchase.
2. The road is heavily populated.
3. There is no project plan nor cost analysis.
4. The facility will be located in a drainage location which will wash
into the Hoosier National Forest, and the Little Blue River.
5. A newly established federal Wet Lands is less than three thousand feet
downhill from the proposed area.
6. The area is busy with folk who canoe, hunt, swim, hike, trail ride and enjoy a
rural off road drive.
7. The school bus runs down the road during school session two time per
8. 20,000+ lb trucks will be driving back and forth on the road at any given time.
9. Equipment will be stored on the location as needed, will add to the
counties activities associated with the facility.
10. This project can and will create danger and safety issues to the residents of
the road, children and adults.
At this time no clear answers have been given in response to the concerns presented to the commission. The commission has stated it will continue as planned.
We the undersigned believe a more suitable location can be purchased on a main road that will minimize the additional road maintenance cost, as well as, the safety and environmental impact created by the project.