We ask the Connecticut General Assembly to act quickly on the recommendations of Connecticut Against Gun Violence.
We respect the rights of gun owners and we accept the Second Amendment as the law of the land. We are also mindful of what Supreme Court Justice Scalia stated in the syllabus of the Supreme Court’s brief on the issue: ‘it is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever, in any manner whatsoever, and for whatever purpose.
Please enact legislation that:
1. Strengthens our assault weapons ban with a focus on improving current list and strengthening functionality features; apply “one military feature” test to definition of assault weapons. Bans possession and sale. Existing weapons must be destroyed, turned in to law enforcement, or shipped or sold out of state.
2. Bans large capacity ammunition magazines of more than 7 rounds. Existing magazines must be destroyed, turned in to law enforcement, or shipped or sold out of state.
3. Requires universal background checks on ALL sales and transfers, including long guns.
4. Requires registration of all handguns with annual renewal, including updated background check; stipulation that all handguns are still in the possession of original purchaser or transferee; explanation for any handgun not being in their possession. Require safety inspection every three years. Fee on initial registration and renewal to mitigate expense.
5. Make gun owners liable for negligent storage if any person gains access to firearms and injures himself or another person or causes damage to property. The violation would be a Class D felony.
6. Requires a permit to purchase and carry all guns, including long guns, and to purchase ammunition.
7. Restricts handgun sales to one gun/month.
Connecticut Against Gun Violence (CAGV), a Connecticut based non-profit organization dedicated to making Connecticut communities, families, and children safe from gun violence through a common sense approach to public education and legislative advocacy
Help spread the word about this petition. Copy the code below and paste it into your website or blog to help promote this petition.
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.