SUPPORT CIRCUS MANIACS!
Circus Maniacs is putting in a bid to Bristol City Council to run Robin Cousins Sports Centre as a centre for circus and local community use!
Circus Maniacs School of Circus Arts has been running for over 10 years now and is in real need of securing an new operational base. The hall/studio itself is inadequate for our developing operational needs on many levels, and it has no integral heating system.
We constantly have to turn down opportunities we are being offered, and cannot plan for the future; this is a source of constant frustration for us.
Against strong community opposition, Bristol City Council recently closed down both the Robin Cousins Sports Centre and the Swimming Baths in Shirehampton, due to the fact that they had become a budgetary burden to keep open.
The council have recently invested in new high quality sports facilities in Henbury, but the residents of Shirehampton and surrounding communities are now deprived of their community leisure facilities, a particularly poignant issue effecting the young people in this area who have very little to do.
Circus Maniacs wants to take over the running of the Robin Cousins Sports Centre offering an engaging community program that includes Circus, related sports, arts, education, youth & health education, international cultural inks. We also want to include activities for those with special needs, early years and also the local elderly population.
We want to continue to develop our work with other educational & community providers to maximize the facilities, projects and usage of the centre; creating a place for organizations to visit
Originally founded in 1995, Circus Maniacs is an independent circus training school currently operating as a not-for-profit company limited by guarantee.
The school\'s Director is Jacqueline Welbourne, formerly the UK\'s top International award-winning aerial acrobat who won major prizes at the Festival Mondial du Cirque de Demain, also at the Festival International du Cirque de Monte-Carlo; and performed her aerial act all around the world including starring with the world famous Cirque du Soleil.
The school\'s objects are:
* To promote, maintain, improve and advance education and health by the encouragement of the arts including, without limitation, the arts of circus, acrobatics, drama, mime, dance, singing, music, visual arts and multi-media.
* To advance the education of the public in the subject of circus arts.
* To support talented and gifted young people in the field of circus and performing arts by providing opportunities for their personal development and growth that they would otherwise not have access to.
* To increase the number of high quality opportunities for the continuing professional development of circus performers, teachers and technicians, and circus and performing arts companies.
* To reduce the number of people who feel excluded from society by increasing access to circus and the performing arts, with the object of improving their quality of life, aspirations, attainment.
* To work with community, national and international partners to improve cultural diversity and social inclusion, exchange knowledge and innovate ideas, in particular towards furthering the development of circus arts at all levels.
Circus Maniacs\' Proposal for the Robin Cousins Sports Centre is to create and manage:
Web site: www.circusmaniacs.com
Circus Bugz (our youngest students!):
Youth Circus Company (our top youth group):
Ex-Students of Circus Maniacs: