Following the devastating fires on Chios in August 2012, the conservation organisation CHIOS NATURE calls upon the Greek Government:
- To ensure that immediate measures are taken to prevent soil erosion in the burned areas.
- Immediately to ban all hunting in the burned areas for at least 2 years.
- To provide a study and a plan for the replanting of the burned areas with native and endemic species, and to make funds available for the implementation of these.
- To place a moratorium of at least 5 years on any large scale development that might have a negative impact on the island's ecosystems.
- To ensure that there is no change in the designation of land (e.g. from forest to agricultural etc) and that no illegal building or grazing takes place.
- To protect key areas from grazing in order to allow recovery of plant species.
- To support the replanting of masticha (Pistachia lentiscus) bushes where these have been lost to the fires.
- To commission studies of both the flora and fauna of Chios 2 years after the fire and consider reintroductions of species that have become locally extinct.
- To ensure firefighters are properly equipped and resourced so that future wildfires can be fought effectively.
No comments yet.join the discussion
social bookmarking service, Saint Petersburg, Russian Federation6 months ago
Thorleif V. Hansen, Stavanger, Norway11 months ago
Mitchell Zucker, Mendocino, CA, United States1 year ago
There are no highlights yet.