Following the devastating fires on Chios in August 2012, the conservation organisation CHIOS NATURE calls upon the Greek Government:
- To ensure that immediate measures are taken to prevent soil erosion in the burned areas.
- Immediately to ban all hunting in the burned areas for at least 2 years.
- To provide a study and a plan for the replanting of the burned areas with native and endemic species, and to make funds available for the implementation of these.
- To place a moratorium of at least 5 years on any large scale development that might have a negative impact on the island's ecosystems.
- To ensure that there is no change in the designation of land (e.g. from forest to agricultural etc) and that no illegal building or grazing takes place.
- To protect key areas from grazing in order to allow recovery of plant species.
- To support the replanting of masticha (Pistachia lentiscus) bushes where these have been lost to the fires.
- To commission studies of both the flora and fauna of Chios 2 years after the fire and consider reintroductions of species that have become locally extinct.
- To ensure firefighters are properly equipped and resourced so that future wildfires can be fought effectively.
No comments yet.join the discussion
social bookmarking service, Russian Federation2 years ago Comments: YkUhAR Thanks again for the article.Thanks Again. Keep writing.
Thorleif V. Hansen, Norway2 years ago Comments: -
Mitchell Zucker, United States2 years ago Comments: -
There are no highlights yet.