Save cyclists and pedestrians by limiting road congestion that is dangerous on our block.
Traffic congestion is on the rise; and because we have two traffic lights on either end of California Ave. this somehow has created a thoroughfare mentality, but we're actually a residential road classified under city law as a 'bicycle friendly street'. And in addition to our two traffic lights, we also have two schools, a kid's rec center, a playground and a community center; so why do we now find ourselves at a crossroads? Safety, and this is the paramount issue at hand.
Have you noticed?
- The Big Blue Bus travels either direction every 15 minutes (which is primarily empty on this portion of Route 1)
- semi tractor-trailer trucks are on the increase
- school buses maneuvering around the traffic on their routes
- large delivery vehicles are constant
- construction vehicles are frequent
Recently, the LADOT has placed Sharrows (marked shared roads for bikes and vehicles) in lieu of a bike lane (as there isn't space for a dedicated bike path) on our block and around the neighborhood. However, while their is not space for a bike lane, why is it considered there is room for a 45 foot/ 50 passenger bus? The city and Big Blue Bus concur and have been looking deeper in to the matter; but it is community response and a voice that will help move the needle.
I have met with the City of Los Angeles and The Big Blue Bus, both of which recognizes the risks and has the power to make changes that will prevent tragic accidents, parked car damage and save lives; so let's have them respond before, rather than to an issue afterwards. Again, we need your voice.
By signing on, this will encourage the city and The Big Blue Bus to:
- enact the rules in accordance with a Bike Friendly Street (limits vehicle size and unfit transportation)
- alleviate the volume of large vehicles; If Route 1 of The Big Blue Bus moved to a larger street (i.e.Venice Blvd), the very limited passengers who ride this leg of the route would still get to their destination in a timely manner connected via Route 3 on Lincoln: please note in the Spring of 2013, there is already a review in process to eliminate this route as to move passengers towards the new Expo line, but we can encourage them to do more than a formal review
- place a gross weight limit on our residential road (many of these vehicles can also move to larger roads which can accommodate them logistically)
We're surrounded by wider roads, but somehow we' re taking the brunt because we have two traffic lights. Please, sign to save cyclists, save lives and limit our road to congestion.