Assemblyman Albio Sires
Speaker of the House
State of New Jersey
303 58th Street
West New York, NJ 07093
RE: Bill A2906 \"Responsible Pit Bull Ownership Licensing Act\"
Dear Assemblyman Sires and Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
We, the undersigned, oppose the above referenced, Bill A2906 as ill-considered and ineffectual legislation for the following reasons:
- Those unethical and inhumane pit bulls owners who fight their animals for sport and money do not pay taxes, own property, pay for liability insurance, nor do they license their dogs. This bill penalizes that part of the public who act responsibly and whose dogs are not in the news.
- Bill A2906 will make it nearly impossible for
responsible pet owners to own a pit bull in the State of New Jersey. This sets a bad precedent
among states nationwide.
- While this bill is meant to lull the public into
a sense of security that the pit bull issue is being managed, it does nothing to stop the cycle of abuse and attacks. It is not the breed at issue, it is the \"predatory\" owners who are a threat to public safety.
- Breed profiling has no place in an enlightened
society. Bill A2906 stigmatizes a breed already unfairly maligned and mistreated and highlights
the sad lack of understanding and accurate information available about pit bulls. If this bill were to pass, it is likely that such breed specific laws will then become an acceptable standard. Ignorance of the issues and the breed does not justify bad legislation.
- New Jersey has several dangerous dog and dog fighting laws which address these issues with
a more reasoned approach.
We strongly urge every member of the Assembly to vote against Bill A2906.
Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.
Pet Rescue of Mercer is an all volunteer, not-for-profit animal rescue group based in Hamilton Township, Mercer County, NJ.
PRM rescues neglected, abused, and abandoned animals from local shelters by finding quality homes for them
The bill can be found at:
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.