This petition will be presented to the government -appointed selection committee.
We, the undersigned, appeal to the Government of Jamaica and Selection Committee to award Bob Marley the ORDER OF NATIONAL HERO and continue to make Jamaica proud.
This year marks 30 years since the death of Bob Marley, yet despite previous appeals by the Marley Family and a host of posthumous awards Jamaica still refuses to accord the Hon. Robert Nesta Marley national hero status, the country's highest honour.
Bob Marley deserves to be among the fraternity of Jamaica's honored national heroes. To many, Marley was a true musical ambassador and a messenger of peace.
Considering the list of Marley's extraordinary list of accolades and accomplishments, including:
1. Order of Merit, Jamaica's third highest honor
2. The Medal of Peace of the Third World by The United Nations
3. "One Love" adopted as a theme song for the Jamaican Tourist Board and voted as Anthem of the Millennium by the British Broadcasting Company (BBC)
4. "Get Up, Stand Up" used as official anthem by Amnesty International
5. "Zimbabwe" is unofficial song of Zimbabwe
6. Artiste of the Century by Billboard magazine
7. Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award
8. Exodus voted Album of the Century by TIME magazine
9. Artist of the Century by Billboard magazine
10. Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
11. Brooklyn Street renamed Bob Marley Boulevard in New York
12. Only musician from Jamaica inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Bob Marley should be awarded the Order of National Hero.
PLEASE NOTE - After you click the button below to "SIGN PETITION", you may see a screen asking for a donation to iPetition. You can close your browser at that point. As long as you have clicked "SIGN PETITION", your signature and other data will still be recorded. Thank you!