We the undersigned are informing our elected officials that we have no confidence in the current board, management or structure of the Birmingham Water Works.
Because the board and management of the Birmingham Water Works (BWW)
1) have failed to ensure an adequate water supply as set forth in their mission statement
2) have failed to develop new water sources while continuing to expand their customer base
3) have failed to implement an effective maintenance strategy to prevent significant water loss within the system
4) have failed to provide a drought management plan which is equitable to the entire customer base
5) have failed to develop and promote a serious and effective conservation plan,
we believe the following changes are in the best interest of the Birmingham metropolitan area.
1) The BWW should fall under the regulation of the Public Service Commission
2) The assets of the BWW should be transferred to a new, regional board which better represents the customers within the service area
3) A drought management plan should be developed that encourages, and mandates if necessary, conservation in all types of water consumption, both indoor and out, and includes residential, commercial, industrial and municipal customers in its scope.
4) A comprehensive, year-round conservation policy and program should be implemented.
We the undersigned ask the following:
1) mayors and councils of cities within the BWW service area adopt a drought management plan that is equitable to all residential and commercial customers. This plan should spread the burden of restrictions and conservation among all types of water users.
2) mayors and councils of cities within the BWW service area to encourage the Governor and state legislators to enact the changes called for in this petition.
3) the Alabama Governor and legislature support a resolution calling for a change in the current structure of the BWW Board to include more regional representation of the system service area.
4) the Alabama Governor and legislature support a resolution calling for regulation of the BWW by the Alabama Public Service Commission.
This petition, along with the names of those who have signed it, will be sent to local and state officials to make them aware of the widespread dissatisfaction with the board and management of the Birmingham Water Works.
Birmingham H2O has been started by a group of concerned citizens, both homeowners and businesspeople, in the Birmingham metropolitan area who are concerned about the lack of planning and foresight by the board and management at the Birmingham Water Works (BWW). Based on the BWW\'s less-than-stellar track record, we have no confidence in their ability to manage our most precious natural resource.
Help spread the word about this petition. Copy the code below and paste it into your website or blog to help promote this petition.
(No links added)
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.