A recent article in both The Morning Call and The Express Times revealed the intention of a local developer to build a Work Release Rehabilitation Treatment Facility at 4255 Fritch Dr., just off Broadhead Road. This facility is scheduled to house 200-300 convicted nonviolent inmates. The facility is to be run by a private company, Community Education Centers Inc. of West Caldwell New Jersey.
The term nonviolent, as defined by the Bureau of Justice, means property, drug and public order offenses which do not involve a threat of harm or an actual attack upon a victim. The most frequent nonviolent crimes are drug and property offenses.
These are the convicted charges. It is possible the original charge was violent. According to the Bureau of Justice Fact Sheet dated October 2004:
* 1 in 5 nonviolent releasees was convicted for drug trafficking.
* 95% had arrest history preceding the arrest.
* 80% had prior conviction history.
* RAP sheets indicate 9.3 prior arrest and 4.1 prior convictions.
* 1 in 5 had self reported a history of convictions for violence.
* 8% used weapons during the current offense
* Within 3 years of their release, about 7 in 10 (70%) are rearrested.
* Nearly half of those are reconvicted.
* 1 in 5 of the 70% were rearrested for a violent crime within 3 years.
Let Bethlehm Township Board and Northampton County know you do not want this facility in your Township.
(No Sponsor Information)
Help spread the word about this petition. Copy the code below and paste it into your website or blog to help promote this petition.
(No links added)
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.