We, the undersigned, do hereby petition and affirm to the Archbishop of Canterbury:
1) That we are the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered of the Anglican Communion, or friends thereof;
2) That we are subject to oppression, largely as a result of the injustice and discrimination that has been sponsored by the church catholic, or allowed to continue by the church\'s refusal to welcome us wholly into the Body of Christ;
3) That our oppression has consisted of violence, mental suffering, housing and employment discrimination, and other oppression;
4) That discrimination in the rites of the church perpetuates our oppression and institutionalizes it within the church;
5) That the Gospel of Jesus Christ calls the church to work for the marginalized, to work to bring the \"least of these\" to the center of society;
6) That as the Focus of Unity of the Anglican Communion, we look to the Archbishop of Canterbury to be an outward and visible presence of grace for all the baptized-- including those who are different from the established hierarchy;
7) That the Archbishop of Canterbury has an obligation as the Focus of Unity to highlight the needs of the marginalized in his special role as first among equals with primates who do not understand the cultural context of our oppression.
Resolved, this 10th day of February, 2007, as the Primates prepare for their next meeting in Tanzania.
This petition was prepared by Jeff Martinhauk. I prepared this petition as a part of my open letter to the Archbishop, which can be found at http://leaningtowardsjustice.wordpress.com/2007/02/06/an-open-letter-to-the-archbishop-of-canterbury.
The petition has been sent to Lambeth, but please feel free to add your name as a sign of solidarity if you have not already done so. Thanks so much for your support.
Note: signing the petition requires your email address, but your email address will not be made public.
Second note: After signing, the sponsor of this site, iPetition.com, will ask you if you want to donate. This does not directly support GLBT equality in the church!! It supports keeping iPetitions ability to provide free petition services up and running. If you would like to support GLBT equality in the church, I suggest contributing to Integrity USA at http://www.integrityusa.org (note this petition is not an official Integrity action, but Integrity does do good work for us!).
Help spread the word about this petition. Copy the code below and paste it into your website or blog to help promote this petition.
Leaning Towards Justice http://leaningtowardsjustice.wordpress.com Gordan\'s Journey http://gordonsalzjourney.blogspot.com/ An Inch at a Time http://www.inchatatime.blogspot.com/ Word of Mike http://blog.wordofmike.com/ Mad Priest http://revjph.blogspot.com/
The views expressed in this petition are solely those of the petition's sponsor and do not in any way reflect the views of iPetitions. iPetitions is solely a provider of technical services to the petition sponsor and cannot be held liable for any damages or injury or other harm arising from this petition. In the event no adequate sponsor is named, iPetitions will consider the individual account holder with which the petition was created as the lawful sponsor.