- A number of residents in North Asheville are extremely concerned about the proposed DENSITY of the 60 unit, Mountain Housing Opportunities, Inc.(MHO) Project to be constructed on the site of the old Naval Reserve Center (785 Merrimon Avenue, Asheville NC).
- Traffic is already excessive on Merrimon Avenue and Larchmont Road that connects with Merrimon Avenue at the site of the North Asheville Post Office.
- With a proposed 60 units in place, access to Merrimon Avenue by the Post Office will prove to be very difficult and will, in all likelihood, block the Post Office parking lot exit during periods of moderate and heavy traffic. Traffic on Merrimon Avenue will also get backed up as cars wait to get into the Post Office parking lot. We do not want this additional traffic burden overwhelming our North Asheville Post Office or our North Asheville Fire Department.
- We support affordable housing. However, we believe the size of this project at 60 units is TOO BIG for the site, the current infrastructure, the adjacent single family residential homes, and the traffic capacity for these access streets, namely Larchmont Road, Long Street, Edgewood Road, Merrimon Avenue, and Kimberly Avenue.
- The density of this project will require rezoning. The current zoning, "Institutional" allows for 16 units per acre, or 32 units maximum. WE SUPPORT THE CURRENT ZONING.
Please Note: a submission without your NAME is not recognized as part of a petition. 'Anonymous' submissions are deleted.