Petition for a Binding Citizens Initiative
To be presented on Tuesday February 26th, 2013 at Noon
At A Special Called Meeting of the Alleghany County Board of Supervisors
LOCATION TO BE DETERMINED
Grantor: Electorate of Alleghany County hereafter known as the “Citizens”
Grantee: Alleghany County Board of Supervisors
The Undersigned Citizens of Alleghany County request that the Alleghany County Board of Supervisors fund the Alleghany County Schools Operational Budget Shortfall of approximately ($950,000) for the (2013-2014) School Year. This amount is the estimated maximum that would be saved by the closing of (2) schools. The School Board would then cut the additional amount required to balance the School Budget for the upcoming School year of (2013-2014). Funding this deficit in the Operational Budget for the (2013-2014) School Year would impose a one year moratorium on the closures of any Schools. This would allow for all cost reduction options to be reviewed, making School Closures a last resort. Using a top down approach the School Board will look at all possible avenues for future budget reduction, with the input of the community to creatively resolve the issues at hand. The Citizens believe that final budget decisions will be made at the February 26th School Board Meeting at 6:00 pm. It is also apparent that the School Board will not be unable to eliminate the total estimated deficit of ($1,500,000) without School closures or funding from the Alleghany County Board of Supervisors.
The Citizens request that an exhaustive study be done by the School Board, fully supported by the Board of Supervisors and the Citizens. The study will be to develop a comprehensive plan for the upcoming School Year which focuses on a long term solution which provides the best educational opportunities for our Children. The plan will also provide a revised long term plan for (5) Years, (10) Years and (20) Years bearing all factors in mind. The Comprehensive Study will look into the suggested items in List (A) below, however it is not limited to these suggestions. The Citizens feel that this is the opportunity to come together as a community and move our area forward by making good sound decisions about our Children’s future. In conjunction with the renewed interest in School consolidation with the City of Covington the Citizens feel it would be irresponsible to allow School closures before this and all other options are weighed to determine the best plan.
The community will use methods already established and legally in place to express their views and concerns with the School Board and the Board of Supervisors. The Citizens can request to be put on meeting agendas and speak directly with the boards. Citizens will be encouraged to utilize the current (PAC) System to make their voices heard. The (PAC) Advisors in turn can present these ideas at their monthly meetings with the Administrator. The (PTO), Citizens and (PAC) can also relay information to the Board through emails, open meetings and calls to their District School Board Representatives. The Citizens would ask the School Board and the Board of Supervisors to have Town Hall Style meetings every (2) months at a minimum with their Districts. These meetings will allow the Citizens to ask and answer questions and help to keep the Community apprised and involved, while also giving a direction and a voice to the School Board through it District Representatives.
The petition will be made available through print and electronic sources. See our website for more detailed information. Petition signing dates and locations will be made available in all current School Districts.
1. Annual Operational Budget Using a Top Down approach to cutting cost.
2. Reduction of Non-SOQ Curriculum/Programs to reduce the Annual Budget.
3. School Utilization, School Condition, Required Future Capital Improvements.
4. Consolidation with the City of Covington Schools to reduce the per student costs.
5. Redistricting and the savings associated with this plan.
6. An action plan for the possible closure of Schools if it is deemed unavoidable.
7. A plan to address the psychological, sociological and community impact on the possible closing of these Schools and how to mitigate the negative impact on the Children and Their Communities
8. K-12 Curriculum, JRTC Technical School programs and Advanced Education opportunities with DSLCC to offer potential dual Diploma/Associate or Technical Degrees upon graduation.
9. Pay to play programs in all non-curriculum or SOQ based activities
10. 4 Day School Weeks possibly Tuesday through Friday
11. Economic development to aid in increased School enrollment and County Revenues through the attraction of new businesses and families to the area
12. Possible Conversion of the Mountain View Complex into a High School and Middle School while returning some of the Middle School classes back to the Elementary Schools.
13. A School System Operated under a consolidated local government.
Thank you for your support!
No comments yet.join the discussion
best social bookmarks, Ukraine2 years ago Street Address: DF86VD Hey, thanks for the blog.Much thanks again. Will read on... http://crork.com/
Comments: DF86VD Hey, thanks for the blog.Much thanks again. Will read on... http://crork.com/
social bookmarking service, Russian Federation2 years ago Street Address: n8dHgK I value the blog.Really thank you! Cool.
Comments: n8dHgK I value the blog.Really thank you! Cool.
social bookmarking service, Russian Federation2 years ago Street Address: hSdA4v Say, you got a nice article.Really thank you! Much obliged.
Comments: hSdA4v Say, you got a nice article.Really thank you! Much obliged.
There are no highlights yet.